Tuesday 18 May 2010

Let's go to The Hop! Oh Baby!

THIS POST IS NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED! WATCH OUT!!!
So Dan (my housemate, colleague and extreme vegetarian amigo) returned from "the west" last night. I had asked him to bring me back some grasshoppers, but when he asked at the villages that he passed, they brought out huge bags of them, live. He couldn't bring himself to buy them, but, lucky for him, his driver bought a big bag. To keep them them nice and fresh on the long journey, the driver pierced some airholes in the bag, and after a couple of hours along the bumpy road, Dan fell asleep in the back. He then woke to find 10's of grasshoppers, all over the seat infront of him and round by his feet on the car floor. They had gradually been making a great escape from the confines of the bag! Being a vegetarian of the highest variety, Dan let as many as he could go free out the window before the driver noticed! So sadly no grasshoppers from the west for me, but Dan did manage to pick up a tonne of fruit on the roads into Kampala.
Here is the selection of oranges, mangoes, sugar cane and passionfruit that now adorns out table! Not ripe yet, but I can wait.

Now in case you're feeling worried that I didn't get to try grasshoppers, fear not! My friend Marvin went out and bought me a bag this afternoon! I thought he had gone out to get a scart lead to plug my laptop into my TV. So when he told me to hold out my hands and shut my eyes for my 'present' I gladly did... little did I know!

I have prepared the following, just for you.

Grasshoppers a la Michelle
  1. First you need some grasshoppers. My bag were still alive, but had their legs and wings pulled off. I imagine that this is a very upsetting activity, so would recommend that you get ones that have already had this done. My bag cost 1,500 UGX which is about 45p. There were alot in there as you can see.
  2. If you have to travel in the car home from the office, and you have to hold the bag a wriggling, legless grasshoppers on you lap, I recommend you talk to them. This could be the last conversation that they have. Try to say something nice.
  3. Wash them throughly. This very important as they have a funny sand on them. I put mine in a collinder and washed them for ages. It seems a bit like Water Torture because they have no legs to get away with. They also may wave at you with their remaining arm stumps. Try not to let it make you sad. They are just waving goodbye.
  4. Get the oil nice and hot (you don't need much) and fry them for 10 minutes. Add in some onions and some green peppers and you've got yourself a yummy dish!!
  5. Eat! They taste like heaven, but sadly, for this malicious torture that you have put them through, you are probably going to hell!

They taste quite nutty. I ate about 4 then I thought I was going to be sick.

Who wants the rest of the bowl??

XXX

2 comments:

  1. That is so mean! The least you could do is eat them all.....

    I'll have some in a pitta when you come home please, maybe add some garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this very much.Thanks for being so open minded. I am a Ugandan living in Norway and i get lots of eeews from people about our food. But i have similar ewes for some european dishes( like snails) but i try them anyway. we need more people like you!!

    ReplyDelete