Sunday 9 May 2010

The Feast and Bujagali Falls at Jinga

Finally! I can upload a picture of the jumper I finished! Yey! other knitting is going very well... I will update in due course!It's been a very busy week at work, so I've been a bit shoddy with my updates! sorry for that, but now I should have things under control!
Somewhat optimistically, we invited 7 people from work around to our apartment (where we have only 6 sets of cutlery and 4 glasses) on Friday evening. We promised them an "Italian Feast" and eventually (gone 10pm) were able to serve up Garlic Bread, Meatballs and Spaghetti and a Tiramisu . We had completely overlooked that fact that we had to go to a really important meeting on Friday afternoon, which completely overan, and then fight our way through the Kampala traffic to the supermarket at Kisimenti. Then we had to do our shopping (I took goat mince all the way to the counter before I realised it wasn't beef!) before arriving home to begin the cooking!It all turned out alright in the end, and no one seemed to mind that the dinner was so late (probably because I was plying them with Ugandan Waragi Gin).
On Saturday, a group of 6 of us from the office went to the "source of the Nile" at Bujagali falls in Jinga (pronounced "Ginger"). Even the Ugandans hadn't been there before! It was a slow drive from Kampala, not particlarly far, but the traffic was really bad. The Nile was really smooth and calm, it was my first time seeing it, so I made sure I dipped my feet it.The Bujagali falls are at formed at the point were Lake Victoria meets the Nile and are widely claimed to be the "source of the Nile".

We ate in a restaurant there and almost everyone (except me, but I regret it now!) had tilapia, which is a white fish caught from Lake Victoria/the Nile.While we were there someone said "Isn't it mad to think that all this water eventually ends up in the Mediterranean Sea". This water flow is astounding. Also during the Rwandan Genocide of 1994, dead bodies that were dumped in Lake Victoria, were carried by the tide of the Nile and ended up on the rocks of the Bujangali falls. They were collected and buried by the Bujangali people.
We took a boat ride out on the falls and our guide explained how the dam that is currently being built (similar to the one at Owen Falls, also in Jinga) will affect the people and wildlife living in the area, as well as the attraction of the falls to tourists. But Uganda's electricity crisis and growing population have meant that any reasonable sources of electricity have been readily expolited over recent years. I'm glad to have seen the falls before the dam is finished. Upon completion, the falls will be gone!

They also do bungee jumping, (called the Nile High Club!) and White Water Rafting over and along the Nile. I think I'll do the rafting in a couple of weeks... but I watched a few people doing it, and I think I'll give the bungee a miss!

On the way home, it was getting late, but we dropped in to see my friend Marvin's 3-week old niece Elizabeth. I said "Marvin, won't your sister mind? it's 10 o' clock and there are 6 of us! surely the baby will be asleep!". He just replied, "Michelle, this is Africa!".
And it was true, she was delighted to have us, and she woke the baby up to say "hello". Really sweet to see that she had a sleeping bag with a pop-up mosquito net attached, that we passed her round in. She was so pretty!

She had the right idea though, I currently have 4 mosquito bites!!

Today I went to a traditional African Sunday Lunch at my friend, Robbie's Auntie's House. It was amazing, and we watched Chelsea win 8-0!

xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment