Tuesday 14 September 2010

Basketball & A Big Fat African Wedding!

Wahoo! I am already SO behind! Okay, panting to keep up... let me update you on my weekend!

On Friday night I went to watch some basketball at the YMCA centre in Kampala. A professional side were playing the Kampala-based UCU (Uganda Christian University), and everyone was cheering for the students! There was a huge crowd and although all of my understanding and knowledge of basketball is based on playing NBA Jam on the Super Nintendo, I felt like I was just about able to follow what was going on.

It was all really exciting, so perhaps baskteball is the sport for me... only as a spectator though, I was dreading the ball coming anywhere near me after the volleyball incident a few months ago. (Okay, that was my first try at a hyperlink).

On Saturday, I attended my first African Wedding. It was incredible! Just so many people. There was no table plan or name cards, you just get ushered to a seat. There were flowers and fairy lights everywhere. I was worried that I would find the whole thing a bit OTT, but I think it was all really tasteful.

The food was delicious and the wine just kept coming. The speeches when on for hours (there were AT LEAST 15) but no-one minded, as the drinks were flowing and all of the sentiments were so sweet. Between the speechs there was Traditional Dance, performed by a professional group. I took a short video, which I will try to attach...

Okay- yep, I think that worked!

But the best dance was one with earthenware pots where girls placed stacks of them on their heads and continued to move around. It was too nail-biting to film!

Best wishes to the happy couple!

No comments:

Post a Comment