Thursday 3 June 2010

Boda Boda

Today I caught a boda boda for the first time. They're the motorbike taxis that operate here in Kampala. Before this, 4 little words from my guide book had been putting me off...

"FIVE DEATHS PER DAY"

But I really wanted to try one, so I picked today, a bank holiday, when the roads are virtually clear, to do it.

Boda Boda is a name derived from the phrase "Border to Border", as motorbikes were originally uses to transport goods across the no-man's-land between the Ugandan and Kenyan borders.

It was super, though I don't know if I'll do it again. I clung on so tightly to the bar on the back that my hand was slipping with all the sweat.

Gonna watch a film tonight! Perfect film to punctuate the day your first motorbike ride?

"New Moon" of course!
xxx

1 comment:

  1. I know this is an old post, and I'm rubbish for not reading them as frequently as I should, but Michelle...you know this upsets me. Your first motorbike ride was suppose to be with me. I will forgive you however, for two reasons:
    1) You still need your first motorbike ride in the UK.
    2) I don't count the boda bodas as REAL motorbikes.

    When you are back in the UK, me, you and 1050ccs baby!

    ReplyDelete